Frequently Asked Questions

The Plan

What is the Plan for?

It is to provide a payout to meet or contribute to the funeral and related expenses of each of your Nominees (people who are covered).

Can I take money out if I am short of money?

No. That is not how the Plan works. It is not a savings plan. There is no money “in your plan”. Rather, in return for the payments made to us we promise to make a payout, in accordance with the rules of the Plan, following the passing of each of your Nominees. That payout is only to pay funeral and incidental expenses of the deceased Nominee and is not to be used for any other purpose.

Can I use money for another person’s funeral expenses?

No. It is only for the funeral and incidental expenses of the Nominees listed on your Plan.

What exactly does the Plan cover?

The Plan is an insurance product which is designed to provide a payout to meet funeral and all related expenses.  The whole payout is for the sole purpose of paying funeral and related expenses, including the directors account as well as any other associated costs, such as:

  • Headstones and plaques to commemorate the nominee’s passing.
  • Clothing for the family to attend the service and associated functions.
  • Travelling and accommodation costs to enable all those who cared for the nominee to attend and celebrate their lives.
  • Wake costs for a proper send-off.
  • Repatriation to return the nominee to their home.

How long does the Plan last for?

For as long as you wish it to, and for as long as you continue the regular payments.


Who can be a Nominee?

The Plan is open to all Aboriginal Persons who at the time application is made are under 70 years of age and have not been diagnosed with a terminal time frame.

What is a Classification?

Based on the information you provide, we assign a classification to each Nominee based on age and our assessment of the Nominee’s health.

How is this classification used?

We use the classification to decide the benefit amount we will offer and the payment required.

How does a Nominee’s age affect classification?

Nominees aged 65 to 69 will be classified as Level 3. All Nominees under 65 will be classified as Level 1, 2 or 3 based on the information you provide in the health statement.

Do I need to let you know if the health of a Nominee changes?

Not unless the original information given by you at the time of application was wrong.

Payments and related matters

What methods can be used to make payments?

B-Point – using your Visa or Mastercard Debit/Credit Cards

Similar to Direct Debit – more information to come this year!

Direct Debit – from a bank or credit union account

If payments are made this way, it is important that there are sufficient funds in your bank or credit union account on the day your payment is debited, to avoid bank fees and missed plan payments.

Direct Deposit – either at a Commonwealth branch or via internet banking

If payments are made this way, it is important to maintain regular fortnightly payments for your Plan to avoid missing payments.

What will happen if not enough money is left in the account?

It is likely that the bank will charge the account holder a dishonour fee and automatically debit that amount to the account. This might result in the account being overdrawn, which might cause the bank to charge the account holder a further fee. Although the account holder’s bank statements might indicate that these fees have been paid to us, in fact the fees have been charged and taken by the bank.

How long do payments need to be made?

Payments must be made every fortnight for as long as you wish your plan to continue.

What should I do if a payment or payments are missed?

If payments have been missed or if you think a payment may have been missed, you should contact us to discuss the matter as soon as possible.


What needs to be done when a Nominee passes away?

When a Nominee passes away, someone should phone us as soon as possible on 1800 622 924 to let us know. Once notification of a Nominee’s passing has been received, our claims department will contact the payee and discuss with the payee what documents and/or other information are required to process the claim.

What documents do you require?

We will generally need at least the following documents to process a claim:

  • An official document confirming the Nominee’s passing.
  • An official document stating the cause of the Nominee’s passing.
  • An undertaking signed by the payee that the payout will be used for the sole purpose of meeting funeral-related expenses.

What will happen once we have received the documents?

Once all information and documentation has been supplied to us, the claim will be sent to the insurer.

The insurer may require further information before it deals with the claim.

Once the claim has been approved by the insurer, the insurer will make a payment to us.

When will a payment be made?

Once we have received payment from the insurer, we will confirm the identity of the payee and take steps to release the payout.

Can I change my payee at any time?

Yes. Just contact us and we can help you do this.


Can I cancel my plan?

Yes. If you no longer wish to be a Plan Holder, you can tell us that you wish to cancel at any time, although there is no payout available and there are no refunds.

How do I cancel my plan or change a nominee?

Simply call 1800 622 924 and we will arrange for a member of the Admin team to call you back.

What happens if I cancel my plan?

If you cancel your plan, we will not give any money back and we will not make any payout on the passing of a person who was a Nominee.

When does a cancellation take effect?

A cancellation takes effect on the date we receive your request, by phone or in writing.

Under what circumstances would you cancel my plan?

If you missed 4 payments and failed to respond to our Customer Service team who would call you and see if we could arrange an arrears-repayment programme which was affordable for you.

How much money do I get back if I cancel?

We will not give any money back and, we will not make any payment on the passing of any person named on your plan.

Is there a cooling off period?

Yes – the ‘cooling off period’ is 10 business days, or the equivalent of 14 days as these may include weekends or public holidays.

Removing Nominees – Can I remove a Nominee? What happens if I remove a Nominee?

Can I remove a Nominee?

Yes. If you no longer wish some of your Nominees to be included in your plan, you can ask us to remove those Nominees.

What happens if I remove a Nominee?

If you remove a Nominee, we will not give any money back and we will not make any payout on the passing of the person removed.


Are there any limitations on payouts?


We will only make a payout by reason of a Nominee’s passing (when a nominee passes) for the sole purpose of meeting or contributing to funeral-related expenses. We will require the payee to give a written undertaking that the payout will be used for that sole purpose and may impose other requirements on the payee to ensure that the payout is so used. We will only make a payout to the extent that the required undertaking is given and to the extent that any such requirements we impose are met.

We will only make a payout to the extent that the insurer pays us in respect of the passing of a Nominee.

If information provided to us about the Nominee’s age or state of health was incorrect or misleading, we can limit the payout to the amount we would have been required to pay if we had been given accurate information.

If incorrect or misleading information was given to us fraudulently, we are entitled to treat our agreement with you as if it never existed.

If a Nominee commits suicide or passes away as a result of intentional self-injury, the amount we will pay is limited to the amount we determine to be the portion of the payments received by us that was referable to that Nominee.

How much will be paid when a Nominee passes away?

The amount depends on:

  • Chosen Plan Amount
  • Length of time covered
  • Health of person at time of joining

Detailed information about what the Plan pays is set out on the Plan Holder Application Form signed by you and will be explained at time of application.

In the event of someone passing, how quickly will payment be made?

Once we have all of the receipts and the necessary documentation (you will be advised exactly what we need), the claim is then sent to our Insurer.  Once approved, we will be authorised to make the payment by Bank Transfer.  This is generally done very quickly.

Contacting you

Who receives mail relating to my plan?

Any letters or documents relating to you and your Nominees will be sent to you as the Plan Holder. All mail will be sent to the address you gave us.

IMPORTANT! What do I do when I move or change my telephone number?

You should notify us immediately when you change your address or telephone number. We cannot tell you if you miss payments or anything about your plan if we do not know how to contact you.

What should I do if I receive a letter from you?

If we send a letter, it is important. Please read your letters. If you do not understand a letter we send you or if you are unsure of anything contained in one of our letters, please just call us. We are always happy to explain anything that appears in our letters.

Other matters

When will I receive my Plan Holder’s card?

We will endeavour to send your card to you within approximately 6 to 8 weeks after your application is accepted.

What should I do if I lose my card?

Phone us to order a new one. It may take up to 10 weeks before you receive your new card.

Contact Us


Suite 216, Level 2, The Strand, 72-80 Marine Parade, Coolangatta QLD 4225

Postal Address

PO Box 1188, Coolangatta QLD 4225


SMS: 0438 935 122

1800 622 924
Salisbury Heights SA,
“Thank you for your help and support during this most difficult time of my whole life. I’m glad mum had the foresight to invest in such a program like yours, it had certainly helped us from the financial perspective. I have found your individual support and understanding amazing. I don’t know how to thank you enough.”

Salisbury Heights SA,

May 2017